© Welwyn and District History Society.                                     Terms and Conditions/Acknowledgements

Welwyn in World War I

Welwyn and District

History Society

Home The Memorials The Fallen Survivors Welwyn at War WDHS Links
A to F G to L M to R S to Z

Index to Survivors Details M to R

Page 1

Maidment, William George - William George Maidment lived with his family in Becket Cottages before enlisting in the RFA in September 1915. At that time he was working as a Pawnbroker’s Assistant, although as the war went on this transformed into a Jewellers Assistant. He was sent to France in May 1916 as a Gunner but was wounded by a shell in the left leg in October. He was shipped back to England for treatment and thereafter served in Belfast. He was discharged as medically unfit due to his wounds in 1919.



Mardell, Charles - Charles Mardell, born in 1876 in Welwyn was the son of James and Ann Mardell of London Road. In 1903 he married Martha Teitgen of Manchester and by 1911 they both worked as servants to Mr F Bates of Digswell Bridge House. Charles served as a Private in an Agricultural Company of the Labour Corps.



Mardell, John William - John William Mardell was born in Welwyn around 1884. He lived with his parents, John and Sarah in the High Street. He joined the Hertfordshire Regiment in July 1915 but also spent some time in the Essex Regiment. In July 1917 he was transferred from B Company 4th/1st Hertfordshire Regiment to the Royal Engineers, serving in the Inland Waterways Docks Section before being demobilised in February 1919. His brothers George and William also served and survived the war (below).



Mardell, George Frederick - George was the second son of John and Sarah, brother to John William and William Alfred. He served as a Sergeant in France with the 89th Labour Corps.



Mardell, Leonard John - Leonard Mardell was the second son of William and Hannah Mardell of Mimram Road. Born in Codicote in 1885, Leonard served in the Labour Corps. His elder brother Percy served with the Royal Fusiliers and died as a result of wounds in 1917.



Mardell, W - Mardell is a common Welwyn name with a number of Williams, Walters etc, so it is not possible to positively identify this man at present. He was a Private in the 3rd Battalion, Bedfordshire Regiment, volunteering in September 1914. He fought at Arras, Ypres and Armentieres before being transferred to Egypt in 1917. There he served under General Allenby in Palestine and at the Battle of Gaza. He returned home and was demobilised in July 1919. He lived in Mimram Road.



Mardell, William Alfred MM - William Mardell was the third son of John and Sarah of the High Street, born there in 1888 and brother to John and George (above). He served with distinction in the Hertfordshire Regiment, joining in 1915. Going first to France in 1916 he was wounded at the Somme and then returning to Ypres after seven weeks in hospital. In 1917 he was again wounded at St. Julien and recommended for the Military Medal for attending to his wounded colleagues, despite his own wounds. He was wounded a third time in 1918 and after treatment at a number of military hospitals was treated in Codicote VAD hospital.



Mayes, Arthur Edmund,

Mayes, Walter Herbert,

For further details please go to The Mayes Family’s War



Mead, John - John Mead was born in Welwyn in 1883 to Shadrach and Jane Mead. His father was a Carpenter and at that time also ran the Railway Tavern. In 1903 John married Elizabeth Louisa Small and in 1911 he worked as a Gardener and lived with his family, now with a son and a daughter in Mimram Road. He initially served with the Hertfordshire Regiment and was wounded in October 1916. He was later transferred at the rank of Corporal to the 11th Battalion Bedfords as unfit for further overseas service. In 1918 his address was given as ‘The Chequers’. His brother Simeon (below) served in the Royal Engineers



Mead, Simeon James - Simeon Mead was the younger brother of John (above) born in 1890. He lived with his parents in Mimram Road and served as a Sergeant in the Royal Engineers.









Welwyn High Street

Next Page

Digswell Bridge House in the 1960s

Pond House in Codicote was used as a VAD Hospital

“The Chequers” (left)